800g tinned chopped tomatoes
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp ancho chilli flakes
1 tsp cumin
4 large eggs
fresh parsley, chopped
Salt & Pepper to season
BBQ Used: Kamado Joe Classic II
Cooking Method: Direct (in Lodge 10 1/4 inch Skillet)
Fuel used: Kamado Joe Big Block Charcoal
Cooking Temperature: Medium – High Heat
- Fire up your BBQ for direct cooking and add a cast iron skillet with a little bit of oil to pre-heat while you dice your peppers and onions.
- When your skillet is up to temperature, add the peppers and onions and toss them in the oil. Saute them for around 4-5 minutes until the onions start to soften and become translucent.
- Add the 2 cloves of chopped garlic and all the spices. Cook the garlic and spices for 1-2 minutes until they become aromatic. Finally add the tomatoes and mix them through the peppers and onions.
- Use the back of a large spoon to create small dimples in the sauce. Carefully crack your egg into a ramekin and pour it into the dimple you have just created. The yolk should sit nicely into the dimple with the white surrounding it. Don’t worry if the white runs a little…. it will be fine. Repeat this for all your eggs.
- Close the lid of your BBQ and simmer the sauce for 7-8 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Remember that the eggs will continue to cook after you remove the skillet from the BBQ so best to take them off a few minutes early.
- Just before removing the skillet from the BBQ, crumble some feta cheese over the entire dish. Remove from the heat and garnish with some chopped parsley.
- Serve up with some toasted crusty bread and you have yourself an incredibly quick and tasty breakfast, brunch or lunch!