Piri Piri Stuffed Peppers
3 Bell Peppers
4 shallots, finely sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bunch fresh parsley, approx 30g
6 sundried tomatoes
150g cooked rice
6 rashers streaky bacon
dash of red wine
1tbsp Piri Piri Rub from The Smoky Carter
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
50g melted butter
BBQ Used: Kamado Joe Classic II
Cooking Method: Indirect (Roasting)
Fuel used: Lumpwood Charcoal
Cooking Temperature: 180-190C
- Pre-heat a skillet over a medium heat then add your 6 rashers of streaky bacon. Fry the bacon until it is golden brown and crispy. Remove from the skillet and place it on some paper towel to drain.
- Add the finely sliced shallots and minced garlic to the skillet which still contains the bacon fat. Toss them around in it and saute until the shallots start to soften.
- Next add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes, chickpeas and pine nuts. Stir these through the shallots and saute for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Season the mixture with the Piri Piri seasoning then mix in the cooked basmati rice. Finally, add a dash of red wine to give the sauce some richness and cook for a further few minutes. Add most of the chopped parsley, keeping a little bit behind for the topping.
- To make the topping, mix the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and the remaining parsley together in a bowl. Slowly stir in the 50g of melted butter until the mixture resembles a crumb texture.
- Cut the bell peppers in half from top to bottom and scoop out the inside using a spoon. Add 2-3 tablespoons of the stuffing mixture to each pepper half and lightly pack it down to just below the rim of the pepper.
- Next add around 2 tablespoons of the breadcrumb mixture on top of each pepper.
- Roast the peppers for 20-30 minutes at a temperature of 180C or until the peppers have softened and the tops are golden brown.
Watch me cook this recipe
If you would like to watch a step by step video of this recipe, click on the link or video thumbnail below to visit my YouTube Channel